The purpose of the Cemetery Committee is to act in an advisory capacity to the City Council in connection with preservation, beautification and enhancement of the City’s cemeteries. They also work with staff in regards to security matters at the cemeteries to lessen damage to monuments, cornerstones and fences.
Alternate members may participate in all committee meetings and activities without voting rights. If a quorum is needed, an alternate may be allowed to vote without any special action by the committee or Council.
Advisory Committee Members
- Robert Beaty (Term expires 9/1/2023)
- Gieselle Fest (Term expires 9/1/2022)
- Jerry Pate (Term expires 9/1/2021)
- Shelton Ponder (Term expires 9/1/2021)
- Jessica Watt - Alternate (Term expires 9/1/2022)
- Jeremy Parsons - Alternate (Term expires 9/1/2023)
- Typically the second Tuesday of the month
- 6:30 p.m.
- Meets in the conference room at the Parks & Rec Maintenance Building at City Park
View the archive of the Cemetery Advisory Board Minutes: 2022, 2021, 2020
- 9 a.m.
- Third Saturday of the month
- No work day on June 18
- Fairview/New Hope Cemetery
- NOTICE: Work days will be cancelled if it is raining.
The committee is currently seeking volunteers to join in the efforts for clean up events and committee members. If you are interested, please contact Erika Brant at 816.439.4363 or email
After extensive vandalism was found in the Fairview/New Hope cemeteries in June 2009, the community rallied to help with clean up. Since then, volunteers and staff have reset and leveled hundreds of grave markers.
In addition to financial contributions and countless volunteer hours, the cemeteries have benefited from donations of sand, pea gravel, monument compound, buckets, water and the use of heavy equipment donated to our efforts.