Permits for Public Works Improvements

Public Improvements

Most construction that takes place within the City requires the review of the Public Works/Development Services Department. Any improvements related to subdividing, site construction and other public improvements requires a planned design by a registered engineer that has been completed according to the City of Liberty’s Design Criteria and Technical Specifications

City Public Improvement Permit Application Requirements 

Upon approval of the plans by the City Engineer, the required Permit may be obtained for construction. The following items are required to be submitted in the public improvement permit package:

For developments within a 100-year floodplain, a City Floodplain Development Permit (PDF) is required. 

If the project involves blasting, a City of Liberty Blasting Permit Application (PDF) is required. 

Land Disturbance

Any project, public or private, disturbing one or more acres of land within the City of Liberty are subject to storm water quality management standards in accordance with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR) land disturbance requirements.  Such projects require obtaining a City of Liberty Land Disturbance Permit (PDF) and an MDNR Land Disturbance Permit.

MDNR Permit Applications

As of September 1, 2012, MDNR will no longer be accepting paper applications for general land disturbance permits (MORA). Applicants can go to the Department of Natural Resources website and connect to the ePermitting link. This electronic permitting process is only available for standard general land disturbance permits. Paper applications for jurisdiction-wide (MOR100) permits must still be submitted to the Department's central office.

City Land Disturbance Permit Application Requirements

City land disturbance application requirements are detailed in Section 30-23 of the Unified Development ordinance. Please note that tree preservation and replacement requirements are detailed in Section 30-97.4 of the Unified Development ordinance. The following items are required to be submitted in the land disturbance permit application package:

City Land Disturbance Permit Fee

Effective January 1, 2007, there is a fee required for a City of Liberty Land Disturbance Permit:

  • $150 for 1-5 acres of disturbance
  • $350 for 6-20 acres of disturbance
  • $750 for 21 or more acres of disturbance

Missouri Department of Natural Resources (MDNR)

Any project that impacts the environment is subject to review and permitting by the MDNR. It is the developer’s responsibility to secure necessary MDNR permits by submitting appropriate permit applications, which may include City-approved project plans and applicable permit fees. Further information on MDNR permits, applications, registration, and forms can be found on the MDNR website.

More Information

If you have questions about public works projects or this process, please contact engineering at 816-439-4500.