Public Art Sculpture Program
2019 Call for Artists
The City of Liberty Arts Commission is now accepting applications for the 2019 Public Art Sculpture Program.
Liberty’s Public Art Sculpture Program is in its third year and is a way to expand a permanent collection of public art by featuring additional pieces that would be on display for a limited period of time. Up to Nine sculptures will be selected for installation in 2019.
All work entered must be freestanding and resilient to variant temperatures and outdoor elements as it will be displayed outdoors for long-term public display. Selected artists will each receive a $2,000 honorarium as well as public recognition and an opportunity for sales. The sculptures selected will be on display on or before September 2019 - September 2020.
The City of Liberty has the option to purchase at least one piece of art from the art pieces on display each cycle, which would become a part of the City’s permanent art collection. The purchase price may be up to $15,000 less the honorarium.
The Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program is open to all artists at least 18 years of age. You do not need to be a Liberty resident. All entries must be original work and of safe design and construction.
The following are the guidelines for the Public Art Sculpture Program:
- Pieces must be aesthetically appropriate for display in public places. When reviewing pieces for consideration, safety to the public (i.e. no sharp edges, no points, no breakable or bendable components, no climbing hazards, no barbed wire, etc.) and durability will be priorities for acceptance. Height shall not create a balance hazard.
- The sculpture must be able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad with bolts.
- Materials may include but are not limited to metal, wood, plastic, stone, ceramic or any other durable material that can withstand the variant temperatures. Regional temperature range 120F to -30F .
- Artists are responsible for insurance on the artwork, transporting, installing and removing the artwork after the display period in accordance with the timeline agreed upon with the City of Liberty. The City shall oversee installation. Any piece purchased by the City will be transported to its permanent location by the City after the artist removes the piece from the display pad.
- Each artist selected to display will receive a $2,000 honorarium to help defray costs of transportation, installation, de-installation of the sculpture, and all other expenses involved. Any costs over $2,000 are entirely the responsibility of the artist.
- Selected Artwork must be installed by Sept. 20, 2019 and removed by Sept. 1, 2020. Any sculpture that cannot meet the scheduled installation and de-installation dates may be disqualified and an alternate piece may be chosen.
- Artists may sell the exhibiting artwork during the scheduled time period. However, exhibiting artwork may not be removed until the exhibit has ended on Sept. 1, 2020. The City of Liberty shall have the first right of refusal.
Interested artists should submit the following to be considered:
- A completed online application, which includes:
- Artist name
- Entry title
- Dimensions and weight
- Date completed
- Description of each entry
- Three (3) digital images of each submitted work. Each image should be labeled with the image number, artists name and entry title.
- Artist statement and brief artist biography
- Current professional resume
- Proof of insurance
- Artists may submit up to three (3) works for consideration. Existing works and concept proposals will be considered.
The deadline for submission was April 1, 2019 by 5:00 pm. No late submissions will be accepted. Apply online»
Sculpture entries shall be reviewed by a guest juror along with a committee including business and education professionals from the Liberty area. A selection panel will review all submissions meeting the application requirements and deadline. The selected artists will be interviewed by phone to discuss their proposed sculpture. Selected artists must enter into a contractual agreement approved by the City of Liberty.
The Liberty Arts Commission reserves the right to select up to nine sculptures prior to the April 2 deadline. Early installation will be considered for these pieces.
Exhibition Deadlines & Schedule
April 19: Submission deadline. No late submissions will be accepted. Early applications will be given priority
On or before May 10: Notification of jury results.
Sept. 16-19: Installation. Stipend provided to artist.
Sept. 1-4, 2020: Exhibition closes / sculptures to be removed.