Public Art Sculpture Program
2021 Call for Artists
Liberty’s Public Art Sculpture Program is in its fourth year and is a way to expand a permanent collection of public art by featuring additional pieces that would be on display for a limited period of time. Up to nine sculptures will be selected for installation in 2021.
All work entered must be freestanding and resilient to variant temperatures and outdoor elements as it will be displayed outdoors for long-term public display. Selected artists will each receive a $2,000 honorarium as well as public recognition and an opportunity for sales. The sculptures selected will be on display on or before September 2021 - September 2022.
The City of Liberty has the option to purchase at least one piece of art from the art pieces on display each cycle, which would become a part of the City’s permanent art collection. The purchase price may be up to $10,000 less the honorarium.
The Liberty Public Art Sculpture Program is open to all artists at least 18 years of age. You do not need to be a Liberty resident. All entries must be original work and of safe design and construction.
The following are the guidelines for the Public Art Sculpture Program:
- Pieces must be aesthetically appropriate for display in public places. When reviewing pieces for consideration, safety to the public (i.e. no sharp edges, no points, no breakable or bendable components, no climbing hazards, no barbed wire, etc.) and durability will be priorities for acceptance. Height shall not create a balance hazard.
- The sculpture must be able to be structurally secured to a concrete pad with bolts.
- Materials may include but are not limited to metal, wood, plastic, stone, ceramic or any other durable material that can withstand the variant temperatures. Regional temperature range 120F to -30F .
- Artists are responsible for insurance on the artwork, transporting, installing and removing the artwork after the display period in accordance with the timeline agreed upon with the City of Liberty. The City shall oversee installation. Any piece purchased by the City will be transported to its permanent location by the City after the artist removes the piece from the display pad.
- Each artist selected to display will receive a $2,000 honorarium to help defray costs of transportation, installation, de-installation of the sculpture, and all other expenses involved. Any costs over $2,000 are entirely the responsibility of the artist.
- Selected Artwork must be installed the week of September 16-20, 2021 and removed the first week of September 2022. Any sculpture that cannot meet the scheduled installation and de-installation dates may be disqualified and an alternate piece may be chosen.
- Artists may sell the exhibiting artwork during the scheduled time period. However, exhibiting artwork may not be removed until the exhibit has ended on Sept. 1 2022. The City of Liberty shall have the first right of refusal.
Interested artists should submit the following to be considered:
- A completed online application, which includes:
- Artist name
- Entry title
- Dimensions and weight
- Date completed
- Description of each entry
- Three (3) digital images of each submitted work. Each image should be labeled with the image number, artists name and entry title.
- Artist statement and brief artist biography
- Current professional resume
- Proof of general liability insurance if selected
- Artists may submit up to five (5) works for consideration. Existing works and concept proposals will be considered.
- Digital images of submitted work. Up to five (5) images shall be submitted for each entry. Each image should be labeled with image number, artist name and entry title.
The deadline for submission is April 1, 2021. No late submissions will be accepted.
Sculpture entries shall be reviewed by a jury committee including Arts Commission members, business and education professionals, and community stakeholders from the Liberty area. The selection panel will review all submissions meeting the application requirements and deadline. The selected artists will be interviewed by phone to discuss their proposed sculpture. Selected artists must enter into a contractual agreement approved by the City of Liberty.
Exhibition Deadlines & Schedule
April 1: Submission deadline. No late submissions will be accepted.
On or before June 30: Notification of jury results.
Week of Sept. 16-20: Installation. Honorarium provided to artist.
Week of Sept. 1, 2021: Exhibition closes / sculptures to be removed.