Occupation / Business Licenses
Business licenses are processed Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.at the Finance counter on the main floor of Liberty City Hall.
Any business operating or providing a service in Liberty is required to have a Business (Occupation) License. The license is required before a business can begin operating. This requirement applies to business entities regardless of their size or composition:
- Any Other Type of Business Structure
A few professions, which are licensed by the State, most notably doctors, dentists, and lawyers, do not require business licenses.
To verify if you need a business license, contact the Finance Department at 816-439-4457.
Applications for both business licenses and contractors business licenses may be downloaded or obtained through the licensing office. A Checklist (PDF) may also be downloaded to assist the applicant with all documentation that should accompany the application.
All licenses shall be in effect for 1 year from the month of issuance, and renewed annually thereafter. [See Chapters 6, 7 and 18 of the Liberty City Code for more information]
- Must be renewed annually in order to continue conducting business in Liberty
- May not be transferred to another owner.
- Local businesses moving to a new location within the city must contact the Business Licenses Divison at 816-439-4463 before their move.
- Two or more businesses being operated by the same owner out of the same location may be combined into 1 application. (Combined gross receipts for all companies must be identified in determining the license fee and each company must be identified as to name and type of business).
- The fee for a new Business License is $50. Renewal fee for license is based on gross receipts in the City of Liberty for past 12 months.
- Craftsman License fee could vary depending on whether it is new or a renewal as well as how many licenses you need.
- Required for contractors: 1) certificate of insurance for general liability and worker’s compensation OR 2) sign the affidavit statement located on the application, stating the company is exempt from state’s requirement for worker's compensation. However, general liability is required whether you have worker's compensation or not.
- Electrical, plumbing or mechanical contracting businesses must provide proof of passing a proficiency test dated 2003 or newer with a passing score of 75% or better OR hold a certificate of qualification to work at the master level from the City of Kansas City, Missouri or Johnson County for the trade for which the application is being made. Submit a copy of the certification with the application.
- Businesses required to collect and submit sales tax to the State of Missouri must provide a copy of the company’s Missouri Retail Sales License showing the location in Liberty, Missouri including address of the business. Retail sales licenses are issued by the State of Missouri and are accompanied by a Certificate of No Tax Due.
- Liberty-based businesses provide alternate contact numbers that are given to the City’s public safety staff for use in case of emergencies.
- First stop for persons contemplating opening a business in Liberty is the Planning and Development Services Division. Planning staff (3rd floor of City Hall or call 816-439-4533 and ask for a planner) will review with the business applicant any zoning ordinances that may apply to the business including location, signage and parking.
- Safety inspection by City’s fire marshal required for new Liberty businesses. An occupation license is not considered complete until the fire marshal’s inspection is complete.
- New Liberty businesses dealing with food service are required to provide copy of Clay County Health Department permit.
Occupation license fees are based on gross receipts.
|$2,500 - $100,000||$50|
|$100,001 - $500,000||$150|
|$500,001 - $1,000,000||$300|
|$1,000,001 - $2,000,000||$450|
|$2,000,001 - $3,000,000||$600|
|$3,000,001 - $5,000,000||$750|
|$5,000,001 and over||$1,200|
Insurance agents and real estate brokers and agents pay according to the following fee schedule.
|$0 - $25,000||$50|
|$25,001 - $50,000||$160|
|$50,001 - $100,000||$320|
Electrical, Plumbing or Mechanical
|Single License - Initial Fee||$90|
|Single License - Renewal Fee||$60|
|Any 2 Licenses - Initial Fee||$155|
|Any 2 Licenses - Renewal Fee||$90|
|All 3 Licenses - Initial Fee||$185|
|All 3 Licenses - Renewal Fee||$110|