Online Services

Report A Concern

  • Citizens can report concerns about a variety of topics through the Citizen Request Tracker. Select the category that best fits your concern (a few examples could be pot holes, trash or recycling, parks and trails, etc.) and then enter your name, address and a brief description. These reports are routed to the appropriate department. If you leave contact information, City staff will follow up with you directly.

Pay Your Utility Bill

City of Liberty Utility customers can use WaterSmart, the online utility management and payment portal, to pay their bills, better understand their water consumption, sign up for leak alerts and more. All regular late fees and fines will still be applied during the construction at City Hall.

  • Ways to pay
    • Pay online through your customer portal. We recommend that all customers create an account but it's not required to pay online. If you prefer to pay online without an account, click on "Pay My Bill".
    • By phone using a credit/debit card or e-check. Call 855.495.0704 (available 24 hours a day; 7 days a week; 365 days a year).
    • Mail in your payment - Attach your stub and write your account number in the memo section of the check.
    • Drop boxes - Drop your utilities payment off at the box located across from the Liberty Police Department on Missouri Street (Collected at 8 a.m. on week days) or at the box located at the Liberty Community Center at 1600 S. Withers Rd (Payments are not posted until the next business day).
  • Don't have an account yet? Register today »
    • You'll need:
      • Your account number - This can be found in the upper right hand corner of the bill.
      • Zip code
  • WaterSmart customer portal features
    • Near real-time data for water consumption, down to hourly and daily usage.
    • Usage comparison to previous time periods.
    • Leak alerts and high water usage alerts to take control of your water use and avoid surprises. This can alert customers to a leaky toilet or a larger problem like a cracked pipe.
    • See when you're using the most water.

Permits, Licenses and Applications

  • Online Permit Portal - Permits and licenses should be submitted through the City's online permit portal. Use the following links to learn more about starting an online application with:
    • Building Division - For building plan review or code questions, please contact 816.439.4535. Questions regarding processing/issuing permits and inspection activities, please contact the Building Division at 816.439.4534 or via email.
    • Event Permits (Block Party Permits, Temporary Use Permits) - A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) is required for all outdoor special events and for outdoor sales events. A Block Party Permit is required to request a street closure for the purpose of a neighborhood or block party. You can submit the TUP Application online. Questions? Call 816.439.4537 or email Jeanine Thill.
    • Historic Preservation (Certificate of Appropriateness) -  A Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) is required for exterior alterations to any building within Liberty's Historic Districts. You can submit the COA application online. For more information visit the Historic Preservation page. Questions? Call 816.439.4537 or email Jeanine Thill.
    • Liberty Arts Commission - Art Grants can be applied for online and applications are open until all funds are awarded. Grant applications and more information about each of the grant programs can be found online. Questions? Call 816.439.4537 or email Jeanine Thill.
    • Liquor Licenses & Permits (Temporary Event Liquor Licenses, Caterer's Permits, Liquor Licenses (for Establishments)  
      • Employee Liquor Dispensing Permits must still be completed and submitted in person. Learn more»
    • Occupation / Business License
    • Planning & Zoning - Information regarding all development applications can be found in the Development Process Review Guide. For zoning and miscellaneous land use questions, including setbacks, chicken coops or fencing, please contact a planner at 816.439.4543 or via email.
    • Public Works (Right of Way Permits, Blasting Permits, Public Land Improvements, Land Disturbance Permits) 


  • Open Records Requests  - Individuals wanting to request an Open Records Request can reach out to Deputy City Clerk, Sarah Ranes via email for completion. 

Animal Control & Shelter

City Council Meetings 

  • Liberty City Council meets in person at Liberty City Hall, 101 E. Kansas St. (see online calendar for the schedule).  Regular, Study and Special Sessions are open to the public, but can also be viewed online. Meetings are streamed live on the website and archived for viewing at a later time. 
  • Meeting agendas are typically posted the Thursday prior to the meeting at City Hall and online and are shared through the Liberty News Flash, the City's e-newsletter, on Fridays. Sign up for the e-newsletter»

Code Enforcement

Municipal Court

  • Liberty Municipal Court Clerks are available by phone at 816.439.4430 during regular business hours. 
  • Individuals can pay fines for some eligible violations and court fees online . Defendants also can use the Online Records Search on the court webpage to view current cases, active warrants and court dockets that are scheduled within 30 days.
  • Individuals wanting to know more about about case records including docket entries, parties, judgements and charges in public court can use


  • The City of Liberty Utilities Department is responsible for operating, repairing and maintaining drinking water and wastewater infrastructure within the City limits. If there is a water main break or a wastewater back up, please contact the City of Liberty Utilities Maintenance Division at 816.439.4763. If the problem has occurred after working hours, please contact the Liberty Police Department at 816.439.4701. 


  • If you have a non-emergency situation or question, please call 816.439.4301.
  • If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911.
  • LPD also offers online police reporting for various incidents.

Contact Us 

For a comprehensive list of all our departments with contacts, please visit our staff directory.